Monday, September 28, 2009

Drew Swank

In loving memory of Drew Swank. <3

Holy Cow! Things just hit you like a ton of bricks sometimes and this is by far the worst! I can't believe that in just a matter of moments the whole world changed. Or at least the world I've known.

Last Friday night during a football game against Lacrosse/Washtucna Drew Swank was hit during a play that knocked him flat on his back. He was able to walk off the field but then had to be immediately flown to Sacred Heart Medical Center.

This morning He was officially gone. The doctors did all they could and now Drew has gone to be with the Lord.

This weekend hasn't been the same anywhere! Its hard right now to see what good can come from this tragedy but I know this is obviously God's will and we have to be willing to roll with it.

Its been really hard for me to not be home right now. I want to be with my family, hug my friends and laugh and cry with them. I remember finding out that He had gone to the hospital on my way home from our game yesterday. I thought "ouch that sucks! I hope he's alright." Nothing could have prepared me for the weekend ahead of me.

I got a few updates saying He was still in the hospital, and I didn't worry. Life went on like normal. Then Sunday came and it was all real. For real a life was lost prematurely. Someone I had known, someone from my school. That doesn't happen. Valley Christain is too small for something like this. I guess I really thought we lived in a bubble. And because of that my world was shaken.

I had people asking me why God allowed this to happen and why wasn't He working a miracle when we all were so desperately praying for one. I didn't know how to answer. I mean I did "This is God's will" but saying that didn't help. It didn't make it better or go away. Prayer was the only thing I could think of. I constantly called out to God for understanding and peace.

God kept beating me over the head with the same thing I had already known was true, that this is His will. And once I was able to come to terms with that along with it came peace. The process is far from being over but it has begun.

Please pray for the Swanks! I can't even begin to imagine what this is like for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment