Tuesday, November 18, 2014

England {Roman Baths}


   Alrighty, so back to my UK trip! Here are all of the previous posts: Windsor Castle, Bath Abby, Coffee & Panini's and #Cherubbing. I'm determined to get all of these posts out, we were busy bees our whole time there and I want to give each memory its moment in the spotlight (but really I just want to make sure I have them recorded for myself.)

   From the outside the baths didn't look any more exciting than any other old beautiful building that there is to find in Bath. But once you walk through the tiled entryway, which is to the right in the picture above, you see this. How cool! I just stood there for a while daydreaming about what this place looked like as people walked around in robes and sandals socializing around this natural occurrence. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that people had been using this site since around 836 BC in some way, shape, or form.





   The baths are consisted of four main areas, the main bath, the steam rooms, the spring and the museum. The main area is two stories surround by beautiful architecture and statues. After spending quite a few minutes listening to the audio guide and snapping a bunch of pictures I wasn't ready for how much more there was to see! I figured there would be a bunch in the museum to see, which there was, but then there was another bath area that has even hotter water and the steam rooms.




   It seemed like the steam rooms went on forever! And, there were rooms on both side of the main bath. Sadly the rooms were pretty beat up (I mean this place has been around for literally ever so...what are you gunna do?) but the way the audio guide put it all back together made it come right back to life. Things that just looked like crumbled rock were pointed out as being steps and water passageways. These rooms were obviously placed here to be as close to the spring as possible and because of that almost every picture I took in that area was completely blurred because of the steam. I totally understood why the Romans, being used to the warmer climate of Italy flocked to this site during the cold dreary days that are so well known to England.


   This was the first real historical site that we visited and it really set the tone for how much history I was going to be learning on this trip. It's definitely one thing to read about this stuff in books, but to actually be here is something that will make those lessons stick around.









No comments:

Post a Comment