Sunday, October 18, 2009

IHSA at Briarwood

Another full day was in store today with my first IHSA show. We had to leave the parking lot by 6:15am! We all packed into 2 vans and we were off to Briarwood Farm. When we got there the captains and Heather went to a meeting.

The way an IHSA horse show works is like this:
7:30 - Coaches & Captains meeting
*Here they draw the numbers of the horses each person will be riding and settle things for the day.
8:00 - Horse Warm Up
8:30 - Show starts
~Open over fences
~Intermediate over fences
~Open and Intermediate flat
~Lunch & Schooling Break
~Novice over fences
~Novice flat
~Then all of the strictly flat classes: Advanced Walk Trot Canter, Beginner WTC, Advanced WT, and Beginner WT.

I showed in Novice Over Fences and Flat, so that means all morning I got to sit around in the freezing, rainy, muddy cold and watch. It was cool to be able to really chill out and watch how it all works before I had to ride. But when my time came and I got on my first horse I realized just how cold I was! All of me was so stiff!

For my over fences class I rode Trooper, a small bay gelding. We had a few troubles throughout our round. We trotted the first jump and then he stopped at the second. That pony really needed leg!!! We made it through the rest of the course but because of the first part I didn't expect any type of placing. It was a good learning experience and I can't wait to be able to try it again.

Next was my flat class. I waited for a while till I had to get on so I was able to watch some more. I rode River in my flat class, an even smaller chestnut gelding. A 7 year-old warmed him up this morning so I knew I didn't have to worry about him being a jerk. We layed down a perfect flat class and we won! :) I was so excited!!! He was such a good boy.

Because I placed first I won not only a ribbon but a blue lay and a dunkin donuts gift card! While I was in the office I checked on how I did for my over fences just for kicks and giggles. And somehow I got reserve, which is 7th place. So I came home with two ribbons! :) There was also a guy from Campus Equestrian there and He will publish all the winners from the day and their home town!

Then I was able to change back into my warmer clothes and watch the rest of our riders go. Once the show was done we helped clean up and then we were good to head out. We got back after dinner was closed so Sam and I, Candace tagged along, went to McDonalds for some dinner. We then hit up DQ for some ice cream. It was well deserved after doing well at the schooling show and today! I can't wait for the show next Sunday!!! :D

The Centenary Crew.

My flat pony River.

My really muddy boots!
First and Seventh :).

My updated Ribbon wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment