Friday, March 21, 2014

Book Worm // Divergent

   So with the movie coming out this weekend I thought I would share my opinion on the book. I read Divergent back in early December because I had finished The Hunger Games and wanted to read more in that genre. I don't care that these books were written for teens, a good read is a good read.

   For those of you who haven't jumped on the Divergent bandwagon, this is the first book in a three part series. In a dystopian future, set in Chicago, society has been broken into five different factions that focus on different character qualities. During ones sixteenth year they have to choose their faction, honesty, selflessness, bravery, peacefulness, or intelligence. 

   The main character, Beatrice chooses to leave her family for a new faction after a shocking discovery about herself. She struggles to search for the truth and uncovers more than she bargained. The society they all have been told is perfect starts to unravel at the seams. With uncertainty on the horizon Beatrice also deals with a complicated romance. She has to fight for the ones she loves and hide her secret before it is too late.

   I really liked the plot, I thought it was very interesting, however, the pace of the book was too slow to start. I understand that you have to establish the story line and give depth to the characters, but it also doesn't need to take so long. Once I got to about the middle of the book things went much faster and then, I was hooked. It was a page turner and I couldn't put it down! And when I finished I couldn't wait to pick up the next one, I had forgotten all about the slower start.


   I'm very curious to see what they do with the movie! But as is true with every book turned movie, I'm sure the book will be better. But we shall see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment